Friday, March 22, 2013

sweet tooth

I. Love. Sweets. So much. Over the last 2 years I really started to focus on my health, and one of the main things I miss the most are the sweets. Especially the sweets with all the chemicals and junk in them. Over the last 2 years I have also spent a lot of time learning how to bake without refined sugar, with whole wheat flour, without dairy, etc... And I am good at it.

It's so nice to discover a talent. It's like a daily reminder that we are God's children, fearfully & wonderfully made in His image, and that nothing can stop us. Insane.

Tonight I needed sweets. BAD. This happens often on a day off. I binge. (Binging for me is whole wheat crust pizza with tiny amounts of mozzarella & coconut milk in my coffee instead of almond.) Here's a little goody I whipped up tonight.

----------

Vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
Makes 1 loaf



2 Tbsp ground flax meal
3/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup canned pumpkin (or canola oil)
2 large ultra-ripe mashed bananas
1 medium zucchini, shredded
1/4 cup milk (I used almond)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp corn starch (optional)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chia seeds
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.

In a bowl combine 2 Tbsp ground flax meal with 6 Tbsp water. Whisk vigorously. Set in refrigerator for 15 minutes. (This will become the consistency of eggs and help bind the bread together! It's so awesome!)

In a large bowl or mixer combine flax "eggs", raw honey, pumpkin, mashed banana, shredded zucchini, milk, & vanilla. Mix well.

Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, corn starch, salt & cinnamon. Mix just until combined. Add chia seeds & chocolate chips. Mix just until combined again.

Pour batter into pan, but leave a very small amount for yourself to enjoy. (Unbaked batter is delicious and you know it.)

Bake for about 50 minutes. Remove from oven, cool for a couple minutes, remove from pan, & cool completely. Enjoy.

----------

This is very gooey & rich. You won't need a very big piece... unless you want it. Then eat the whole loaf.

Do you like anything on your banana bread?

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm Rebecca from MyNaturalFamily.com. I shared a link to your recipe on my post
    http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/dessert/25-recipes-for-healthy-chocolate-zucchini-bread/

    I want to make sure it's ok with you that I did so. Please let me know if you want me to remove your image.

    I would love if you could share a little love by sharing the post on your social media accounts. After all, in the end it will help you get more traffic too.

    I am also open to other collaboration ideas so please let me know if you have ideas of how we can help grow each other’s blogs.

    Get More Traffic

    In case you're not already a member of our sister site, InspiringCooks.com I would like to invite you to join it.

    I was frustrated with how much work it is to submit to food submission sites so I created my own site kind of like Food Gawker. The main difference is that you don't have to submit each recipe. All you need to do is fill out this form - http://inspiringcooks.com/submit-recipes/ and we will add your recipe images for you with a link to your site (no recipe on our site). We will also promote your content by pinning both directly from your site and from our site.

    Bonus - when you join Inspiring Cooks, you can also request to be added to My Natural Family’s most popular group boards on Pinterest.

    Make More Money

    I make over six-figures on My Natural Family and I wrote a blog post all about how I do it. I think/hope there are some ideas in it that could help you make more money with your blog - http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/earn-six-figures-blog/

    ReplyDelete