Thursday, November 10, 2011

healthy eating and donuts

It has been decades (or maybe months...) since my last post.

I don't know if you caught on, but I was really into tea. Mainly because I was managing a certain tea shop (coughTeavanacough) which turned out to be the worst job I have ever had in my entire life. I won't share the whole story now... If I keep talking about THAT I will end up only posting about that. To make a very, very long story short, I got a job at Whole Foods Market! (And the crowd goes wiiild! WOOO!) I am eating healthier, I am much happier, getting a discount on my groceries, however, I am spending twice as much on gas. Oh well, my job is great.

Today at work I got some whole wheat pastry flour. And you know what that means? BAKING TIME!

Whole Wheat Baked Donuts with Jameson Whiskey Glaze


Yields about 6 donuts... or maybe more...
3/4 cups + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup superfine sugar
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp unsalted butter (I used Smart Balance Olive Oil Butter Sticks)
1/4 cup milk, scalded (I highly recommend using milk with SOME fat in it. OMG FAT! You won't die. Seriously. It's a donut.)
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg, beaten

Oven at 350. Mix dry ingredients. Add in butter with pastry cutter. Add wet ingredients and combine JUST until blended. (Over mixing can make them rubbery. And gross.) Then bake in a donut pan for 6-10 minutes.


Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. While cooling happens...

Jameson Whiskey Glaze


Enough for 6-10 donuts... or more...
3/4 cups powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp Jameson Whiskey
1 tsp vanilla

Add liquids to sugar slowly while stirring. Once it's all glazey and perfect, dip donuts in the glaze. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Well I'll be dipped. Why aren't you back there with us cookin friend?

    ReplyDelete