Tuesday, March 15, 2011

how to properly make black tea.

Step one: get a cast iron teapot.



Don't believe me? Alton Brown believes me...

If you don't have time to watch the whole video here is this:
Cast iron teapots evenly heat, making the tea fully expand giving you a tasty, healthier brew.

Step two: heat up your water.

Contrary to popular belief, not all tea is steeped at a boiling temperature. I chose (once again) to make Earl Grey Creme as to compliment my cookies. Since it is a black tea I only need my water heated to 195 degrees. Since I do not have an automatic water warmer I placed a meat thermometer in the spout of my tea kettle.





Step three: add your tea leaves.


Also contrary to popular belief, my strainer does not need to be completely full of tea. You only need 1 - 1 1/2 tsp of tea per 8 ounces of water. Since my pot is only 24 ounces I only added 3 tsps of tea.







Step four: add the water and steep.


Do just that. Once the water is exactly the right temperature, pour the water over the tea leaves and set a timer. And tea does not need to be steeped for 10 hours. Black tea only needs to be steeped for 3 minutes, so do just that.








Step five: remove the basket and enjoy.


Once the timer goes off, remove the strainer immediately, pour a nice cuppa tea for yourself and drink. :)











Delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment